Sunday, October 17, 2010

Peer Mentor: Your Awesome!

I don't know if we all have the same peer mentor but our peer mentor is Lee, and she's the coolest, way better than your peer mentor. Sorry. But yeah, had to put that out there, Lee came into our Inquiry lives around the 3rd week of college life. At first, I was kinda "iffy" about her. Usually peer mentors are just a waste of time, but she turned out to be a really down to Earth girl. I knew she would be awesome when she "got real" with us the first day of class. I would have never expected her to have that sort of past but I respect her a TRILLION times more because of being able to just be like "Hey, that was me, thats what I used to do. Now I'm different. Don't judge." She got me really thinking about what "motivated" me the first day she came into class and pretty much made me feel like i was lacking, substance. It was a legit wake up call and made me think of things a lot different. And, I thank her for that. So! Things that really work for Lee when she's in the class is the fact that she's more experienced with the whole "college life" thing and she bring a very unique or pretty deep topic to class every Thursday. I think thats really cool, keeps me on my toes and makes me think. The Peer Mentor also adds a more down to earth aspect to the teacher. I mean, Jen is a really sweet teacher but she doesn't get to see the side of college and life that were pretty much seeing now. And to have Lee there, gives us another person to go to and ask questions that Jen may not be able to answer. So in the end having a peer  mentor is pretty sweet. The senior student aspect is nice to have in class. And I've learned to think deeper in class and search inside me for motivation, also to try not to judge people, because people go through tons of "stuff" and most of us have no idea. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment